Recently, Neatco was awesome enough to send me a review copy of the NeatDesk scanner with the bundled NeatWorks software. I liked both products (here’s the NeatDesk review and NeatWorks review), but since I already have a ScanSnap S300M here, and really liked Neatco’s software, I wanted to try using my ScanSnap as a scanner with NeatWorks as the software.
This is possible because Neatco will sell NeatWorks for Mac separately. Unfortunately, I don’t believe they currently sell the Windows version standalone.
The guys at Neatco are smart. Instead of being all Apple-ish and saying “our software will only work with our product!”, they recognize that people who already own ScanSnaps, and there are a lot of us, could benefit from NeatWorks as well so why not make some cash from us too. Brilliant.
Integrating NeatWorks with the ScanSnap is incredibly easy. In fact, they’ve added a menu item right into the program to set it up for you!
I made this video that goes through the steps:
In a nutshell:
- Start ScanSnap Manager running
- In NeatWorks, go to Scan | Fujitsu ScanSnap Settings
- A screen will come up telling you that ScanSnap Manager is running, and there is a button saying “Configure and restart ScanSnap Manager”. Click it.
- Once ScanSnap Manager restarts, you’ll have a new Profile called Scan to NeatWorks and when you check the settings, it’s configured to scan to NeatWorks.app
- Scan a document in your ScanSnap, and it should kick it to NeatWorks for you to process. Done!
That’s it! Like I said, incredibly easy.
Is anyone out there already using your ScanSnap with NeatWorks? How’s the integration going?