For whatever reason, I don’t tend to write as much about all-in-one or multifunction devices. You know, the ones that print, scan, fax, make waffles, etc.
Maybe it is because the frustration with the one that I have is what lead me to getting into this whole DocumentSnap thing in the first place.
Anyways, it’s time that I rectified this, so I am going to do it right now by pointing you to the Lexmark SmartSolution line of devices.
Why these particular multifunctions? They have some pretty interesting features. I’m not really going to get into the printing part because, you know, that kind of goes against what this whole site is about. I’m going to talk about the connectivity and scanning parts.
- Wireless – All the devices come with Wireless-N so that you can print, scan, etc. without needing to be plugged in.
- Big Touch Screen – All the functionality is performed by a large colour touch screen
- Apps! – I am all about the apps, and Lexmark has little applications that they call (drum roll) SmartSolutions that you can download to your device. You can find more info on what is available here.
- ADF Scanning – The Prestige Pro805, Pinnacle Pro901, and Platinum Pro905 all come with an automatic document feeder, so you can put in a stack of documents and it will suck them in.
- Evernote Integration – Yep, you heard me right. There is a “Scan To Evernote” SmartSolution that will let you scan a document or photo right into your Evernote account.
- Duplex Printing – It will print on both sides. Handy for saving paper when you do have to print something.
So, all in all, not too shabby.
There are four flavors of SmartSolution devices, so I’ll give you a quick runthrough.
Lexmark Interact S605 – The most basic model. It has all the features above except for the document feeder for scanning. You need to put one sheet at a time on the flatbed. If you are going to do any volume of scanning at all (which you probably will be if you are reading this site), I’d probably not choose this one.
Lexmark Prestige Pro805 – Has the features above, including the document feeder for scanning. It comes with a network port for plugging into the network if you don’t want to use Wi-Fi.
Lexmark Pinnacle Pro901 – Has the features above, plus can also fax.
Lexmark Platinum Pro905 – The big daddy. Has all the features of the Pro901 but has an extra tray for more printing capacity.
So there you go. As far as all-in-ones go, the Lexmark SmartSolution line looks pretty decent. Do you have another multifunction device that you love? Let us know about it in the comments.